Lest I Stumble

“What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone, as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:30-33‬ ‭ESV‬‬  


How many times have I been walking along and seemingly tripped over my own feet? When I was in high school, I grew afoot. Over the summer and that following fall, when I went back to school, I had the hardest time staying upright. It seemed every time I went up some stairs, and I would trip walking up to them and fall. 

But walking up a flight of stairs isn't what I am talking about right now. The purpose of this post is to cover what Paul was trying to convey, and it is something that far too many still have trouble understanding today. 

Paul was speaking directly. To the Jews in the community and their foolish attempts to work themselves Into righteousness. They believed that if they kept the law, they were ok. How many Christians today do the same thing? 

They think because they said a prayer and they live a ”good” life that they are ok. Sadly, that isn't enough. Salvation doesn't come from the work we do, and salvation only happens through faith and belief in Jesus Christ. And as long as we try to pursue salvation by works, the grace of Jesus will be like a stumbling block in our lives. Jesus is either the stone I trip over in my self-righteousness, or he is the rock I build my life upon. 

C.S. Lewis said once: "We all serve God inevitably, but it makes a great difference whether you serve like Judas or serve like John."

In the end, God is winning in our belief and our unbelief. He is victorious in our obedience and our disobedience. Human beings, whether good or evil, rejecting or accepting, believing or unbelieving, walking or stumbling, cannot derail the ultimate purposes of God. 

 "The stone which the builders rejected has become the head of the corner."

Comments