Likeness

'But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it, we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself. '

Philippians 3:20-21 ESV

If you live long enough, someone close to you will pass away. Sooner or later, no matter what we do, death comes for us all. I have felt the sting of death more than a few times in my 39 years. And every time someone close to me passes away I have the same thought: What will their resurrected body look like? Will I recognize them when I get to heaven? And I know every time I have that thought that their bodies will be unlike anything I have ever seen. Will we need name tags like when we visit a new church? Maybe...

Will we still wear the scars from the pain in our lives? The marks left by years at war...the disfigurement from disease...the wounds from violence...will these things remain? I wonder these things because I know from reading Scripture that Christ wore His scars for the last 40 days He was present in physical form with the Disciples. But will I keep mine...The scars on my eyebrow, my forehead, my hands, and the bent bone in my left hand? 

Well, all I can offer you is my opinion and most others can only offer theirs as well. Peter tells me in 1st Peter 2:24 'He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds, you have been healed. ' And by heavens accounting, only one wound is worthy to be remembered. And that is the wound that Jesus carried. Our wounds and hurts will pass away like our old bodies. 

Comments