Dump

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you. Be sober-minded, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion. seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To Him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen." 1st Peter 5:6-11 ESV

Have you ever seen a dump truck operate? The driver of the truck backs up to a predetermined spot and simply pushes a lever or a button and the heavy load of material is dumped right where he wanted it. Have you ever seen a dump truck just drive around all day with the same load, day after day, and never dump it off? Or load more material on top of the already heavy load he carries on his back? The truck would be completely useless like that and so are we if we carry our burdens forever. We weren't made to carry the same heavy load every single day.

I am a large man and some folks even go as far to call me some obvious nicknames due to my size: Big Man, Big Matt, and even Sasquatch. And because I am such a big fella it is expected that I can carry a large load on my broad shoulders, both literally and figuratively. But the truth is, even though I am 6'5 and 350lbs and I can move and carry heavy things, I was not made to be crushed under the weight of my problems. I can push the button of faith in my life or pull the lever of trust in God at any time and my cares and worries will be thrown down and picked up by a man that was built for loads like that.

Christ tells us in 1st Peter 5:7 that He will gladly bear the weight of my burdens. He will shoulder the load when I feel like I can no longer carry them. It is only when I unload my worry, anxiety, and fear and allow Christ to put a shoulder into the load that I finally feel the relief that I so desperately need.

If I trust Christ enough to take the load of the sin that is in my life and absorb the punishment for them, why then can't I seem to give my worries and cares over to Him too?

Comments