A Man Apart Withers And Dies

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.” ‭‭John ‭15:4-6‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Every sport has it's legends. But whatever the sport and whatever the generation, they all have their own larger than life personas. Growing up, I have had the privilege of seeing some great athletes play. Being an avid Arkansas Razorback fan, I have seen the likes of Corliss Williamson, Todd Day, Lee Mayberry, Oliver Miller, Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, and Felix Jones all put on the red and white and represent my home state over the years. They are all humans but they weren't like the rest of us watching in the stadiums or on TV at home. If you watched Darren McFadden ever run with the football you will most certainly that we aren't all created the same or equal by a long shot.

One of my favorite times of year is the fall. I love fall for a few reasons but mostly because it signals the start of football season, hunting season, and the leaves start to change colors. As I have spent time in the woods in the fall, from time to time, I will build make shift hunting blinds so that I can hide from the deer or turkey that I might be after that day. But one particular day, after cutting a few branches and limbs to make myself a blind, I became distracted by the leaves. I couldn't help but notice how the leaves of the branches I cut began to wither almost immediately. What was previously strong, beautiful and broad leaves were now curling and drying up before my eyes. What were once bright green and orange leaves were now dulling before my eyes as the minutes slipped by. What was once thriving was now cut off from the source that gave life to their cells.

How much more true is that of us when we cut ourselves off from God?

While it is true that we are not all equals when it comes to talent, I didn't play for Arkansas like the men I mentioned previously, although I will admit it was a hearts dream of mine as a kid. The reality is that while talent and ability separate each one of us, we are all united by one singular thing. The truth of every man is that apart from a relationship with Christ we will all wither and fall apart. The absence of His life flowing through our veins will easily be seen in each of us. We will all show signs of withering under the stress and strain of life and the color in our lives will become as a dull gray. This all happens when we detach ourselves from God and His people.

We are all meant to live in constant communion and contact with God. When we humble ourselves, bend to His will, and stay connected to the vine, then and only then will we see true change and breakthrough in our lives. The colors of the world will all seem more vibrant and the things that we never noticed before will come to forefront.

Comments