Truth

In today's culture, I think we don't tell the truth often enough. I believe we say what ever the other person wants to hear because we are afraid to be honest. When I was little, my grandfather told me that sometimes the truth hurts, but that it was necessary. But what I have learned to understand was that when we speak the truth, even the hurtful parts, we have to do it in love and respect. This especially has to happen with our kids, our friends, our spouses, and everyone else we come in contact with.

I have always said that the church is the only place in the world where they attack their wounded. I have seen it happen more times that I would like to count, but I think that some people simply lack the ability to speak truthfully, whether in a spirit of love or in truth at all. I see it particularly with people in supervisory positions. They don't want to write a negative evaluation of someone even if that person's work isn't up to snuff. And the person in question goes on through life thinking that are doing an awesome job. Personally, I believe that we do people a great injustice when we aren't open and honest with them. Those around us need to hear an honest critique of their performance and so do we. Yes, even me. I need to hear an honest assessment of the work that I am doing too.

Here is what I think lies at the center of this issue. We don't really believe that we are created by God as a unique and special person! If we did believe that, we would quickly see that there are two options here: we can help them apply their gifts to the task that they have been assigned by building on their strengths and minimizing their weaknesses or we can find the person a different position more suited to their gifts.

But who is responsible for finding these gifts? We all are. But that is only a starting point. We have to speak to each other in complete truth and honesty through a spirit of love that will not only help those around us but it will help others maximize their strengths and abilities.

Comments