Heart

In different parts of Scripture we are shown an emphasis on guarding our hearts. The reason for this emphasis is a profoundly simple one: Our hearts can determine the course of our lives. Our thoughts, emotions, and intentions will shape everything we do and every single decision we make. So it is very important for you and I to guard our inner heart. 

There are a few things that each one of us has to do to make sure we are guarded correctly. First, we need to be careful about the things that we take in. Whatever sinks into my mind will often come spewing back out, whether I want it to or not. Just like my physical health is affected by what we eat, my spiritual and emotional health is affected by my thoughts and the images my eyes take in. I have to avoid the junk and only take in things that send positive messages. 

Second, I have to fill my mind with God's Word. Nothing will influence me as powerfully as hearing God's voice and learning His ways. It is not enough to avoid putting negative thoughts into my mind and heart, but I also need to fill it with truth. The Bible, God's inspired Word, is the only fully reliable source of truth in the world, and its message is more powerful and life changing than that of any other book on the shelves. I need to meditate on His Word day and night. 

The third thing I need to do is stay grounded in my prayer life. We are told to go to the Father in secret and with others around us-especially our spouses and our kids. If it is something that you aren't currently doing, then start. It may feel slightly awkward at first, but it will help bring you closer to God and tighten your relationship with your family. Just always remember that prayer is simply having a conversation with God. There are no rules or special words that you have to use. You just have to go to Him and have a talk open and honestly. 

The last thing I can tell you is that we need to check our motives for what we do with God and for Him. Motives are simply an issue of the heart. We need to do things for the right reasons. If I am doing something or my goals are driven by status and acceptance then my heart is in the wrong place. I need to get my priorities right and get my heart in the right frame. We have to make sure that everything that we do is for God's glory and not our own. We are called to do things out of a sincere desire to know more about God, to discover His will, and ultimately for His glory and honor. 

If you look around where ever you are, you will notice that most people spend more time guarding their behavior than guarding their hearts. But if we guard our hearts, our behavior won't be nearly as difficult to deal with or explain. 

Pay attention to what goes in because it is ultimately what will come out. 

Comments