Working With What You Have

"If you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, "May you be uprooted and thrown into the sea," and it would obey you!" Luke 17:6

The Lord asks us to simply have faith. Faith in the promises that He has given us. Faith in His Son. Faith in the hope of the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Faith in everything He set down in His Word.

He asks each one of us to believe without doubting, to ask without stopping, to seek until we find, to knock because we know the door will be opened for us, and to pray without ceasing, believing that what we ask for, seek for, knock for, and pray for He will do something about. Although I think God realizes that for us, sometimes that is easier said than done. Sometimes I feel like Thomas, like I am asking Him for physical proof of the resurrection. Sometimes I want to get my finite brain around the infiniteness that is God and understand the things without having to simply have faith.

And in my life, those are the times when I need to have faith even more. Often times it is in that time that the world keeps preying on me and nothing I do feels right. There are days when I appreciate Thomas and his assertiveness in asking, "Show me Lord. I need to touch your hands." (I think Thomas might have been from Missouri.) I have days when I wish that I could see the nail holes and hear His quiet voice assure me that He has it all under control. There are those days when I just seem to need a little more visible proof to go with the usual dose of faith.

Days when things happen to you like: losing a job, losing a spouse or loved one, getting in an accident, or finding out you have a serious illness, all these things can shake your faith to the core and cause you to doubt the reality of your faith. Those are the days when I need to remember even more to hang on to my faith and closer to Jesus. The disciples had their moments of doubt, and Jesus was standing right there with them. So I don't feel quite as bad when I have my moments of doubt. The disciples were struggling on a regular basis, and Jesus told them that its doesn't always take much - it just takes a little bit of faith. Even faith as small as a mustard seed. That is all we need - you and me - and Jesus will take care of the rest.

I love that Christ doesn't expect me to understand it all (frankly, I am as bright as a burnt out light bulb), to see all of God's plan for us or for His kingdom. He just wants us to have enough faith in Him to continue to follow Him day by day on the path He has set before us. Just follow His plan and work with what you have.

Comments