Complainers & Whiners:Which One Are You?

"Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people." Philippians 2:14-15

I am sure that you are not guilty of complaining about your boss or the owner of your company. But believe it or not, some people complain about a lot of things. I know I certainly have. And so have my kids. They have gotten better about being obedient, but sometimes they feel the need to voice their displeasure before they do what they are told. And I know that if we were honest with ourselves, we would realize that we are all guilty of it too. We live in a world full of complainers.

The apostle Paul is dead on right when he said that we would stand out if we didn't complain about everything like everyone else does. You can stand out by not complaining about the rising gas prices or the fact that they lady at Sonic didn't get your order just the way you wanted it.We would certainly be "bright lights" among the rest of the world. It is hard to hide or blend in or be part of a group of complainers when you don't think the same way. Who knows? If we stay focused on the positive, perhaps our energy and enthusiasm will change everyone around us. Perhaps we can remind them of some of the benefits they are overlooking - like being employed in a hurting and slow job market, working in a comfortable environment, and getting a regular paycheck.

Maybe if we put our heads together to figure out how to make the current situation better, something my father always has encouraged me to do. The key is to focus on the positives, not the negatives. Winston Churchill once said, "For myself I am an optimist - it doesn't seem to be much use being anything else."

I have had to back up and punt a few times myself when I have made statements that were less than encouraging and as a matter of fact were just plain ole negative. I knew that they people I was dealing with were right but my stubborn and negative attitude wouldn't allow me to realize it until I had already made a fool of myself and alienated those that I needed to help me. I had to apologize for my negativity. I had to set the example to my employees as someone who didn't complain and realize that I had totally blown the opportunity to lead by example.

Try this the next time you feel the urge to complain: rather than complaining or whining about the situation that you have been handed, try to count the blessings that come with it, then be a positive force to make things better.

Comments