Confidence

As a young person, you were prone to be confident about a lot of things. I know when I was younger I would probably be classified as "over" confident. I was confident that my parents would be upset if I got bad grades or if I missed curfew. I was confident that if the chores weren't done then I could forget doing the things I wanted to do later. I was confident that if I didn't practice the songs that I was chosen to sing that I wouldn't perform them to the best of my ability and I would let others down that depended on me. There are quite a few other things in life that I am sure you can come up with that you are confident about as well.

In 1st Samuel 17:36, David proclaims his confidence in God to help him win a battle that many thought he would lose. He was confident in God for the same reason many of us are confident in other people and things: they have a proven track record of success. David was a small, runt of the litter, shepherd boy and as a shepherd it was his job to protect his sheep. And from time to a lion or a bear would wander up to David's herd and try to kill and eat the sheep that David was supposed to protect. Do you think that David cowered in fear and let this go down? Did David shirk his responsibility to the sheep and his family that relied on them? No way jose! David rose up and with the power that God gave him, he defeated them each and every time they came around. The main thing was David gave credit to God and not to himself. He was confident in the power that God gave not his own.

When David faced down Goliath he faced him under the same power that he did against the bear or the lion. Even though the enemy was much larger and way more experienced, David trusted God to give him the victory that day. He knew in his heart that if God would give him victory over the bear and the lion why wouldn't he deliver him against this guy that was smack talking God and His people. As men, we need to have the same confidence in God and know that He can do whatever, whenever He wants. He has done it before why wouldn't He do it again?

Guys and gals, no matter how difficult the problem you are facing is, God will give us the victory if we trust and believe that He will. He might not give it to us the way "we" want but His way is always the best way. He desires for us to have complete confidence in Him and what He has for our lives. It doesn't matter what it looks like now, what matters is what God can do with it. Believe God past what you can see and trust in God beyond what you can hear.

"Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God." 1st Samuel 17:36 ESV

Comments