Act Like A Man

I once read this statement, "To act like a man mean that you don't act like a woman." Pretty obvious and to the point isn't it? I have been happily married to my wife for almost five years and I am not claiming to be an expert on marriage by any means. If you know my wife just ask her and she will tell you how dumb I can be! I have no problem telling you that there is no greater creature that God has created than a woman. They are full of mystery and wonder. I like to go hunting in the woods and for a time I can handle a few days on a business trip out of town but I am always excited to come home and see my wife and my children.

If you have read the first chapter or two of Genesis then you know the story of Adam and how he came be. Although he wasn't alone for long. He was here all of about 15 minutes when God said that it wasn't good for a man to be alone. I can only imagine the kind of things that Adam was able to come up with to get himself into trouble. God provided a woman to be a helper fit for man. I think that every man would agree that men and women fit together beautifully. But not just physically. We fit together emotionally, relationally, and spiritually speaking too. One man with one woman for a lifetime is God's ultimate plan. Men and women are designed by their Creator to complement each other so completely. We are not built for competition with one another but I will admit that there are things my wife is way better at than I am.

Sadly, we live in a world in which gender distinction is frowned upon but truthfully this doesn't alter the reality in which we live one bit. Man and woman are equal under God in each and every way, but we are not the same. It is possible to make some general observations based on which gender we are. There are things my wife is scared of that don't even make me jump. My wife hates it when I text and drive or work the radio instead of paying attention to the road. And she is emotionally touched by things that I sadly believe that I will never understand. We are just different and there isn't anything wrong with that!

Proverbs 18:22 says, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing." And just like every man needs a good woman, every woman needs a good man.

Guys, they need us to be their source of strength and resolve when things get out of control, they look to us for stability and leadership. The major decisions and responsibilities of our homes are on us not them! They are up to us! Listen to your wife and most importantly learn from her but guys where we are failing is in leading our wives.

In my opinion there is nothing sadder than a passive man acting more like a woman while his wife is allowed to be the dominant one and to steal the leadership role that God has entrusted them with! Men, it is on me and you to step up and lead our families. We are called to lead them with love, service, and tenderness but we are to act like men and lead!

We are made to provide security for our wives. We are designed to cover our wives with our strength, giving them protection and security that God gave them a desire to need. When we do this guys we reap the benefits, but we have to make sure that we are showing them the love and tenderness that they need as well.

Now a question, "How many families do you know where he husband is counting on the wife to lead?"

Guys, there are a ton of acceptable divisions of the "household" chores that need to be done and if you aren't doing your part you aren't leading. It doesn't matter if she cuts the lawn and you wash the clothes or if you dust the furniture and cook the meals while she fixes the electronics and sets up the surround sound speakers. What matters is that you lead!

Failing to lead is failing to act like a man.

Comments