Footprints

"One night a man had a dream. He dreamed that he was walking along the beach with the Lord. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene, he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand; one belonging to him and the other to the Lord. 

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand. He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints. He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life. 

This really bothered him and he questioned the Lord about it. 'Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way. But I have noticed that during the most troublesome time in my life, there is only one set of footprints. I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me.'

The Lord replied, 'My precious, precious child, I love you and I would never leave you. During the times of trial and suffering, when you only see one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

I am sure that almost everyone has heard the above story in one form or another. I have a plaque that was my grandfathers that I keep on my desk at home with the very story I have referenced above. While the plaque itself is sentimental to me the story that it bears is all the more. I could quote the story from heart mainly from reading it so many times.

The thing that that this story doesn't relate to well is the times when we take off in our own direction. When we break from the path that God has laid out for us. The times when we try to live under our own power. The times when we absolutely become stubborn as a mule and refuse to go.

Isn't it funny how we think "our" way is better than "His" way? While there are many ways to do a great many things, there is only one way to God. And that is living a holy and set apart life. Choosing to go our own way won't get us into heaven, quite the opposite it will lead us to an eternity in hell.

The enemy shows us what looks to be a wide and easy path. He makes it look so attractive. Along the way there are parties, excessive living, and "fun". I don't know if you know this or not but allow me to let you in on a little secret....are you listening?....The devil is a LIAR!!!

I have been down the wide path and let me tell you there is nothing but destruction, pain, and ultimately death on this path. Sure, there are loads of earthly fun, but what the enemy doesn't tell you on the front end is that God is not there. He isn't in the bottle, he isn't in the needles, he isn't in the random "hook" up either, only death and earthly destruction lie on these paths. And from my own experience, I can look back and see the hands of God all over my life. There were times where I should have gotten in lots of trouble, times I should have been seriously injured, and even times when I should have not lived. It was only when I truly started to walk down the narrow path that I looked back to see the "one set" of footprints and understood what that part meant.

Walking the narrow path means that God is walking alongside you all the time. That when you are struggling to keep going, He will scoop you up the way a father scoops up a fallen child, soothing their cries, wiping their tears, and placing them on a firmer foundation.

Since I became an earthly father I complete understand that analogy. I understand what it is like to pick up a fallen child, I understand how difficult it can be to discipline a child that you help create, and I understand what real eternal love means.

"Thank you Father, for sending your Son, in my place. For sending Him to pay the ultimate price. So that He could walk the narrow path with me and carry me if need be."

That is a prayer that I hope we can all say one day. 

Comments