Shouting In The Dark

Over the last five years or so, I have faced many battles and a few wars that were mostly fought in my own mind. Honestly, I have to say that I lost many of those battles as I became over-focused on what I believe are the most pressing things facing me and my family. Sometimes all I could think about was how overwhelmed I was in that moment and that the world was going to all fall down around me. I have oftentimes found myself shouting in the dark wishing someone would hear me.

Sometimes I would shout at the darkness for just being dark. I shout at darkness when I see moral decay and unrighteousness living around me. Those things are most assuredly dark, and they make for easy targets. The saying "shooting ducks on a pond" comes to mind. But here is the truth: no matter how much I shout at the darkness for being so dark, it doesn't change the fact that it remains exactly as it has always been: dark.

I have realized that when I waste my time and my energy shouting at the darkness, the only thing that changes is my attitude. And it is all for the worse. First I get cranky. Then I get bitter. Then I get angry. And then no one is safe. I am totally unpleasant to be around or associate with. My attitude and my life don't reflect the light and joy of Jesus when I shout at the dark for being dark. My words drip of anger, disgust, and bitterness. And the only person that likes it is my enemy. He loves it when I shout aimlessly into the dark. It gives him power and dominion in my life. It opens me up to his suggestive words about "who" I really am. He tells me how worthless I am. He tells me I am a bad father. He tells me I don't deserve my position in the business world. He tells me I am a bad husband. He tells me no one really likes me or loves me. It is just like my granddaddy used to say, "The enemy lies like a cheap rug. Arguing with him is like wrasslin' with a pig. You get muddy and the pig likes it."

In my almost 41 years, I have discovered that for me, I have to surround myself with positive influences and positive people in order to keep me level. I have also learned that the more I stay in God's Word and allow the light of Christ to shine through my life, the less I find myself shouting in the dark. If you are reading this and you find yourself stuck in a rut. You find yourself shouting in the dark. You find yourself mired in depression and can't see any light in your life know that there are others just like you that feel the same way and that there is a way out. My prayer is that I won't be positive for the sake of being positive. My prayer is that the joy and light of Jesus Christ will so fill my thoughts and my attitude that I won't be distracted by the darkness that lingers in the corners of my mind.

What I am talking about isn't easy. Nothing worth doing ever is. But I am winning more. A little bit of ground at a time. It ain't easy but it is worth it. I will keep trying because I have figured out that shouting at the darkness is like wrasslin' that old pig and I ain't really one that likes to get muddy for no good reason.

Comments