My Dad




John J. Mosley died peacefully in his home on November 2, 2018, in Helena, Alabama at the age of 63. He was born on September 12, 1955, in Kennett, MO to Bob and Mickey Mosley. He graduated NBFA-Caldwell, AR in 1973 and went on to attend Southern Nazarene University. John worked as a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic most of his life, advancing himself over the years until he achieved a position as operations and site manager for WCA Waste in Alpine, Alabama. His parents, the late Bob and Mickey Mosley, of both Caldwell, AR and his brother Bob Mosley of Rockwall, TX, precede him in death. He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Debbie Laws Mosley of Helena, AL; son Matthew Mosley (Hannah) of Pell City, AL; daughter Amanda Mosley Sloma (Jeff) of Helena, AL; sister Liz Patterson (Ken) of Caldwell, AR; sister in law Lynda Mosley of Rockwall, TX, six grandchildren: Lannon, Avery, Olivia, JD, Gracie, and John Robert and his faithful dog Buddy. He was a lifelong member of the Church of the Nazarene. He was an avid hunter most of his life and loved to target shoot and collect knives. He was a hardworking and faithful husband and father. He was loved by many and will be missed by those blessed to know him. A celebration of his life will be held at 11:00am on November 24, 2018, at the First Baptist Church of Pell City in Pell City, AL. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that memorial donations be made in John’s name to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. 

What I am about to write about is difficult. It is a hard thing for me to accurately describe and honestly, I am afraid that I won't be able to give it the honor that it deserves. My skills as a writer lack the impact of others and I don't want to do anything that would dishonor my dad or the Holy Spirit. But this has been on my mind since early Friday morning and I know that when God gives me an assignment that I have to get it down or He won't let me rest. 

About two weeks ago we got the news from the doctors that no family wants to hear. They informed us that my dad's condition was too far gone and that there was nothing else medically that they could do heal my dad. As I sat there listening with my dad and seeing the look of concern that he rarely showed me, I couldn't help but wonder why? Why would this happen to a faithful husband? Why would this happen to a supportive father? Why would this happen to the hero of six beautiful grandchildren? I began to ask God why my dad...

Right then and there I sat and prayed to myself as we absorbed the impact of what we had just heard and then my dad looked at me and with the grace that he could gather asked me, "Son, please pray with me." Instantly I was taken back to the times when I was a little fella and he would come to my room and pray with me before bedtime. I was taken back to the time when I was nine years old and he told me that there was a better life waiting for me if I only would ask Jesus into my heart and allow Him to have Lordship over my life. I was reminded of the time we got into a wreck on an icy road and his strong arms kept me from eating the dashboard of his truck. I was reminded of all the times that he had been there just because I needed him...

So a few days after the doctor gave us the news, I took my dad home from the hospital, knowing full well that our time with him was coming to a close. As I drove to my sisters home dad would occasionally nod off but every so often I would catch him out of the corner of my eye staring over at me and I could tell he was moving his lips but when I asked him what he needed he would just say, "Nothing son. I have all that I need." And at the time I didn't catch what he meant. But now I think that I understand... 

My father had to work hard for everything that he ever had in this life and he worked even harder to provide for his family. To hear him say that he had all that he needed meaning to me that he had all he needed on earth. He had his family around him and he felt the comfort of the Holy Spirit as his days drew to a close. He was at peace with the situation and thus I should be because I knew without a doubt where my father was headed and knew who he would be spending eternity with from here on out. 

The night my father went home to be with Jesus, I came down to my sisters home, partly to give her and my mama a break from sitting up with him all night and partly because I just wanted a little one on one time with my dad. He has always been there for me. When I had problems at work or with a customer, I would explain the situation to him and he would sit there and listen intently then he would think about what he wanted to say, sometimes I liked what he would say back and other times I argued with his reasoning but no matter what I respected what he had to say because I knew that he had my best interests at heart. 

As I sat there listening to him struggle to breathe and knowing that this would likely be my last chance to speak with him on this side of heaven, I told my father how much I loved him and exactly what he meant to me. I told him that he could go rest and know that I was a man because he taught me how to be one. I told him that I knew the Lord because he had shown him to me when I didn't deserve it. I told him that my sons and daughters will know the Lord because of him. I told him that he was always my hero and that would never ever change...I told him what he had awaiting him was better than anything we could ever see here and that he should hurry home...

I am a selfish creature and I wanted my daddy here forever but that isn't the way it works here on earth. We are born, we live, and then when our time comes, we die. And please hear me when I say this, what matters most is what we do in the middle. It is the times we take to show someone Christ's love and His grace, it is the times that we pick up someone that is down and can't get up on their own, and it is the times that we give of ourselves to others. My dad was like that. He gave of himself to others, invested in their lives, and didn't expect anything in return. If I can master that gift, then I will have lived a life worthy of my earthly father. 

I love you, dad. Say hi to Mamaw and Pawpaw for me and if you see Dena give her a hug for me. I will see you one day soon...

Comments