Hold Fast

Stop for a moment and think of three things that are always dependable and that never change. You list might include things like death, taxes, the sunrise or sunset, or the directions on a compass. Or maybe your list is completely different?

As I go through life, it is understandable to need something steady, something to keep us upright or to direct us through our day and keep me on track. The problem is most of the things I choose are completely undependable and can't provide the guidance or stability that I really need the most. 

"You shall walk after the Lord your God and fear Him and keep His commandments and obey His voice, and you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him." Deuteronomy 13:4 ESV

In the verse above, Moses told the people of Israel their need to hold tight to God's hand. As I have read God's Word and lived my life. I have learned that the only constant in my life is God. He never changes. No matter the situation or the circumstance, God is a consistent point of reference for our lives. Did the list you came up with include God? 

After Moses passed away, it was left to Joshua to lead the nation of Israel into the promised land. The Lord told him He would never leave him or forsake him. Jesus tells us the same thing in John 14:18, "I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you."

God will never leave us, never let go of us, and there is nothing that can separate us from Christ other than living a sinful life. God is the only thing that we truly can depend on in this world as a fixed point of reference and a dependable friend that sticks closer to us than a brother. It is only when we humble ourselves and confess our sinfulness to Him that we can truly understand that truth in our lives. 

Comments