Table

I can remember back when I was a kid and every Sunday after worship, my family would gather at my Mawmaw's house for Sunday supper. My aunt and uncle and cousins, my grandparents, and my family plus anyone else that might want to join us that week, would gather around their table in their home in rural Eastern Arkansas to break bread, talk about what the pastor had spoken about, and share our lives with each other. While I can sit and tell stories about Mawmaw's table all night long, But this isn't one of those stories.

“And when the hour came, he reclined at table, and the apostles with him. And he said to them, "I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God." And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he said, "Take this, and divide it among yourselves. For I tell you that from now on I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes." And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.” ‭‭Luke ‭22:14-20‬ ‭ESV‬‬

When I read the above passage or hear it read when we have communion, it always strikes me a funny that Luke chose to tell us that Jesus "reclined at the table." Even though He knew what was coming. He knew that Judas had already sold him out and that Peter would deny Him publicly not once but three times later that night and yet Scripture tells us that He "reclined." Talk about being cool under pressure.

One thing that Jesus did in His life and I try my hardest to emulate is to always be intentional, in everything. He never took any of the moments He had for granted. Every minute was precious and a time that He could spend instructing His disciples on how to most effectively reach the rest of the world around them for Him after He was gone.

Jesus tells them that He won't drink of the vine until the kingdom of God comes into the world and uses the wine to show that His blood must be spilled in their place and in mine. He shows them through the bread that His body was about to be broken for all as a substitute for our well earned punishment.

But as I read this, I often wonder what these men brought to the table that night? I mean, any good Southern Baptist will tell you that it is a sin to come to someones table empty handed. A good casserole or a bucket of fried chicken is necessary to save face. But food isn't what I am talking about. What sadness did they bring? What "hidden" sin did that carry to the table that night? How could Judas, knowing he was going to betray him, sit and eat? Could they yet hear the voice of the Lord calling them to the table that night? Did they understand the gravity of what they were experiencing? These are all things I have on my list (yes I have a list) of questions I want to ask the disciples and Jesus when I get to heaven.

Our "table" experience really isn't much different. While we know why the sacrifice was made we must not allow it to become just another "ceremony" in our lives. The opportunity to come to the table is a great honor and should be treated with the reverence it deserves. But if we are one with Christ and have allowed Him lordship over our lives then we have access to this table. He encourages us to bring our brokenness and our trials, our worries, and all the burdens with us when we come to the table. He knows the weight that I carry before I even take a seat at the table. I can hear His loving voice calling me to the table the same way my Mawmaw used to call me when I was young. Even when I feel like I am unworthy and that my shame overshadows the grace in my life, He calls me to the table all the same. There is nothing that He hasn't seen before in my life or the lives of anyone else. He sees the weight that I carry on my shoulders (unnecessarily I might add), burdens that I place on my own back that He willingly will take up when I humble myself to Him and ask for His help. All I have to do is bring it to the table. I have a place. You have a place. All the sinners, all the saints, we all have a place of grace and protection waiting for us. All we have to do is pull up a chair and listen to the conversation that is already taking place.



Comments