Fish Are Fish And Men Are Men

Albert Einstein once said, "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that is stupid."

When I read this for the first time all I could think was "Amen."

For the first few years as a manager, I operated under the illusion that a leader must be well rounded, as I need to be good at everything as it relates to my chosen profession. I have since learned that such an approach to life and career is not only toxically stressful, but not even a biblical one. Men, God did not intend for us to be good at everything we put our hand to.

God made you and I with a specific mix of gifts, a specific mentality, and specific personality so that you can maximize the "you" that God intended you to be. Act outside of that, and you actually frustrate the very reasons He created you.

Myself and many other men are obsessed with a fear of failure and see only our shortcomings. We have become like the fish that Einstein spoke about above, which would spend its well gifted and perfect life stuck in an endless cycle of depression because it focused on what it couldn't do rather than what God had created it do to.

I have found that the path to discovering why God created me begins when I ask Him to reveal my calling and then measuring myself only by my obedience to that calling and not by the distraction of that which He never called me to in the first place.

Comments