Sour

Whether I want to admit it or not, my attitude dictates how I respond to virtually everything that I come in contact with throughout my day. The problem is that my attitude can go sour so fast that it takes a serious charge of power from the Holy Spirit to generate the power necessary to bring me back in line.

I hate living in a place of a bad attitude. I hate allowing my mind to go there and stay. I hate it when I allow something to own me that way. I should never allow any person, object, or situation to own my emotions. I know that only God holds the deed to my heart, yet I fail on this front more times than I care to admit. When my attitude goes sour, it is most often my witness for Christ that takes the brunt of the blow. It hurts me deeply that I have grieved the Holy Spirit by allowing my attitude to set me back with those folks that don't know Christ.

I have found that my attitude fails me because I am trying to control a situation rather than trusting God to work the things out in His time and not mine. Then there are times when my attitude goes sour simply because I let that someone or something penetrate my heart and bend my will in the direction of hatefulness.

Regardless of how you come to place that you have a less than desirable attitude, it isn't a place for a person that is walking with the Holy Spirit to dwell. What I find comforting is that we don't have to wait for the day we pass to experience that joy of Jesus. He is available to us at all times. He is available in the here and now. We can stop anytime throughout our day and ask Him to speak truth into our lives and seek His sheltering hand when our attitude starts to slide.

Comments