Return On Investment

In my career I have heard the following term used more than I can count. "Return on investment" (ROI for short) has been banged into my brain over and over again over the last 17 of my years in business. It is what has driven every decision that I have made, both personally and professionally. I want to know that my work, my decisions, and my efforts will pay off for me in the end. Therefore, I measure my success by the return on my investment.

As I have grown, I have found that success is a moving target because every place I have worked measures success and growth by different standards. Success is important, but the real question I have started to ask myself is, "How do I define success?"

As I read the scriptures I learn that if I sow in the flesh, that I will reap the worst the flesh can offer, but that if I sow in things that are eternal, I will reap a harvest straight from the heart of God.

Most of those that will read this will have an employer or at least people they have to answer to but our attitude is to be that our work is for the Lord. God does measure success, but His measurements may not pay out a tangible sum here on earth. If I choose to plant eternal fields, rather than temporary ones, that I can know that I am guaranteed a return that is beyond anything I could ever dream up.

I would say that is an ROI I can bank on and the greatest return I could ever hope for.


“Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." ‭‭Galatians ‭6:7-9 ‭ESV‬‬

Comments