Losing My Edge

A wise man once told me that if I no longer recognize the voice of the Holy Spirit and miss His leading that I need to get my Spiritual GPS checked. This, along with a lack of loss of usefulness as an instrument in the hands of God are leading indicators that something is wrong. 

Revelation 14:14-16 ESV says this, "Then I looked, and behold, a white cloud, and seated on the cloud like a son of man, with a golden crown on his head, and a sharp sickle in his hand. And another angel came out of the temple, calling with a loud voice to him who sat on the cloud, "Put in your sickle, and reap, for the hour to reap has come, for the harvest of the earth is fully ripe." So he who sat on the cloud swung his sickle across the earth, and the earth was reaped."

The One sitting on the cloud with a crown on His head was Jesus Christ. The harvest that the writer speaks of is the salvation of lost humanity, men and women who don't yet have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. As I read this I thought about what the sickle represented. I believe that the sickle represents the church. It is you and me. If God is going to reap the harvest of lost humanity, it is going to be through His people. 

You and I are to be the sharp sickle in God's Mighty Right hand. We are a part of God's plan for the redemption of mankind. That means that the woman that stays home with her kids is part of the plan. So is the doctor that treats the wounded and sick in the ER. The man that goes off to his job at the advertising firm in the city and the man that drives that garbage truck that drives by your house so early in the morning, if both men have a relationship with Christ then both of them are part of his plan. Even the student that is walking down the halls of her high school is part of God's plan to save mankind. We are all to be setting our hands to whatever practical work we have been gifted to do to see others around us come to knowledge of who Christ is and what He did for us. We are to be there to disciple those around us and encourage each other in this race of life. 

Every day I have to determine to be an effective instrument for God. I can either be sharp as a sickle or dull as a hammer. 

Comments