Failure

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 ESV

The great American inventor Thomas Edison made quite a few attempts at making a working light bulb. He failed again and again, yet he was confident that he hadn't failed even once. He simply said that he found 10,000 different ways NOT to make a light bulb. If you ask me that is a great perspective for facing adversity. In the effort made toward any worthwhile goal, failure has to be considered part of the process. Failure in achieving a certain result isn't exactly failure if it is another step on the path towards your goal. Failure is a vital part of life.

I just wish I had learned more about failure as I was growing up, especially how to handle it and even how to grow to appreciate it. It is one of those "I wish I knew then what I know now" moments. I have learned that even though someone may appear successful, I really don't know all the things that they struggle with to get where they are in their life. But as I have grown older I have learned that failure happens regularly in life. It is part of everyone's experience. And if you are afraid of it, you won't step out and try very much. You will never accomplish the dreams you have for yourself if you are afraid of what might happen if you try.

I know this is hard to do but don't get discouraged when you fail. In fact, consider it part of learning who you are and what you are made of. I hope that you fail less that I have, but you can count on failing sometimes. The most successful people I know are those who have handled failure the best. Although many people treat failure as a dirty little secret and wear a mask to cover it up, the successful ones have learned to be comfortable trying something that doesn't work out. Success isn't never failing, it is about persevering through the mistakes you make and conquering the adversity in your life. If you persist, even through the failures, you can turn them into a valuable part of your story.

Always remember that failure isn't part of who you are, it is simply part of your journey through life. If you have failed at something recently, sit down and write down the lessons that you have learned from it and turn it around to use to reach your goals.

Comments