I Don't Know It All

"If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame." Proverbs 18:13 ESV 

I hate to admit it but I don't know everything.I know right? Well I wish that I did but I don't. And the funny thing is that I can't even begin to pretend that I do. Too many people have made it painfully clear that I don't. But over the years, I have become more and more comfortable admitting that fact and simply listening to others before I speak. (Although I still struggle with this from time to time.)

Some people will pretend to know more than they actually do. I was told a long time ago that if you wake up in the morning and run into more than three jerks in a row, you are probably the one who is actually the jerk. I hope that I am not that person, you know the one I am talking about, the one who thinks they have all the answers and can't be vulnerable enough to admit they need the counsel of someone wiser than they are. That attitude may come from a huge ego, but in reality it is more of a defense mechanism that pops up whenever they feel inferior or insecure. Basically this person doesn't want to appear as foolish or ignorant. When we feel like we have to have all the answers often times we have some deep rooted self esteem issues.

I have found as I have grown up that simply saying "I don't know" is almost always a good answer. It is a sign of strength and not of weakness. You have to be secure in yourself to be able to admit that you don't have an answer. When you can admit it then you have a great opportunity that is opened up to learn. When you find someone that know more than you about a certain topic or skill (they are literally everywhere!) it is a great idea to take them to lunch and simply ask them questions and listen to their wisdom. Let them lead the conversation and absorb their knowledge. People have a lot to offer from just their experiences.

If you know, share that info with someone else that doesn't. This is called mentoring. A mentor reaches out to help someone along the path of life. This is important! Everyone should have someone in their life to be comfortable enough to seek counsel. But when you seek it out, find someone that is further along in life than you are. This is when you have to put aside all pride and ego about what you think you are and be open to being taught.

Abraham Lincoln once said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." What he was driving home was that you can fool a few of the people in your life with your supposed "knowledge" but rarely will you be able to survive living way for long. You will eventually be found a fraud and this will ultimately hinder your growth. So always be in the process of learning. Especially from those in subordinate roles to yours. I have learned more about my job from my subordinates than I have those that I answer to. Seek the counsel of others and listen to their experiences. Feel free to say, "I don't know but I would love to learn about it." And allow them to help you grow.

Comments