Reflections

"For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly that he ought to think, but to think with sober judgement, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned." Romans 12:3 ESV 

What is a mirror? It is a reflective surface, normally glass, that is there to help you see that your hair is combed, your tie is straight, your collar is adjusted, and to view the final look to make sure that everything is in it's proper place and the way it should be. 

As I have grown older and I hope somewhat wiser, I have come to realize a mirror and its usefulness isn't relegated to showing me whether or not I am put together on the outside well enough to meet the world. Each morning as I look into the mirror, I see myself anew. I am invited to take a long, honest, and somewhat introspective look at myself, face to face with who I am. I can take a long look within and honestly evaluate where I am in my life and the journey toward becoming all that God has created me to be. 

Too often my method of being humble is to drag myself down. This can't be the right method - God says that we are all uniquely made. We shouldn't be trying to elevate ourselves but rather we should strive to elevate others. 

From time to time, we all should take that deep look within to put things back into perspective, especially when the world wants to lift us up for accomplishing something great or drag you down for failing. To bring ourselves back to the perspective of all that we are in Christ is priority not what we are in the eyes of the world. I need to constantly remind myself that the world doesn't define who I am. I am only defined by my relationship with Jesus Christ. It is when I look at myself through His eyes that I truly see who I am and what I am worth.

An honest evaluation in front of a mirror will keep you from thinking too highly of yourself but it will also remind you not to be too harsh and think too little of yourself. After all we were all created unique and for the purposes that God has given us. 

Comments