Support

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:1-2 ESV

This is one of my favorite illustrations in the Bible. Imagining myself running a long race-living my life- that God has set before me. And doing it while all the "cloud of witnesses" watch. The family, my Papaw, my Granny Dene, all the ones that went on before me and they are watching me as intensely as I watch the Hogs play ball on a Saturday afternoon.

The race that I run isn't an easy one. They all know it because they ran it before I did. They were the trailblazers and the teachers for me. You have them too.

The author of Hebrews uses this illustration of a great stadium, the stands full to capacity with those that have lived the life and walked the walk before, encouraging him through the testimonies of their lives as he took his place in the arena as a follower of Christ.

I can close my eyes and see it....Noah, Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, Paul...all of those that crossed the finish line but didn't just cross the line they laid the path and paved the tract we run on now. They laid the foundation of the arena through their lives and the stories of their faithfulness to God.

In my life I have had the opportunity and priveldge of seeing some awesome sights in arenas and stadiums around the country. I have watch the Cowboys play in Texas Stadium. I have heard the Tide roll in Tuscaloosa. I have heard War Eagle and seen the eagle fly in Jordan Hare. I have seen the cars zoom by at Talladega. And the most awesome sight was the first time I called the Hogs in Reynolds Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville, Arkansas. In all of these places the crowds can get so loud it is almost deafening. This is the image I get when I read Hebrews 12:1-2.

But I think that the reaction of the most rabid of fans at any of these places can't compare with the loving enthusiasm that the crowd of faithful witnesses uses to urge you and I on. By God's grace and through faith in Jesus Christ we have salvation that is free and have a promise that He will make a difference in this world of pain, heartache, sickness, grief, and even death. All for the glory of God Almighty.

You might be criticized, persecuted, misunderstood at times, and quite possibly condemned all because you believe in Jesus. But when you continue to run the race for the Father day by day, every day you draw a little more of His strength and each day your stamina to run will increase. Every day you will grow stronger!

Imagine for a second what it will be like to sit in a stadium with an uncountable number not cheering for a team or a game but for Jesus....Keep striving and one day you will be there!

Comments