My Dad

My dad did a lot of things that didn't always make a lot of sense to me. I knew that he always had my best interests at heart even if I didn't agree with it or think it was fair at the time. I was allowed a little leeway to disagree but in the end his decision was final and I had to learn to accept it. Sometimes that wasn't an easy thing to do and it didn't always make me very happy.

But I have never had to wonder if I could trust my dad. I know, better now that I have my own kids, that his decisions were all for my benefit whether I understood it or not. I learned at an early age to respect my father by watching his respect for my grandfather. My dad taught me to honor my mother and him by abiding by the decisions that they made for my sister and I. I knew that they prayed over and for my sister and I and that their decisions were rooted in God's teaching through His word.

My parents, especially my dad, shaped me into who I am today. I know some guys that grew up in a difficult family situation that didn't have their fathers around. I was a lucky boy. In the culture we live in today, the role of the father is almost laughable. Turn on the tv and every dad you see is weak minded and spineless for the most part. It has become more common place to criticize the role of the father than to honor it. But God commands us that we honor our parents and it is more important and reaps more benefits that we might think. I am 37 years old and I know without a doubt I wouldn't be where I am today without my dad to lean on. He has busted my butt, hugged my neck, probably wanted to kill me more times that I realize, but in the end he has always been in my corner. No matter where I am or what I have done, my dad has always been there.

Dad, thank you for all the love, correction, guidance, and friendship you have given me throughout my life. I only hope that I one day will be as good a dad as you have been to me. The other day I was struck by the way my youngest son looked at my hands. He looks at my hands the same way I used to look at my dads. With awe and wonder to myself, how do they get that way? I told Bo that men that work hard and use their hands to earn a living have hands like ours. Every callus and every scar tell a story. As I sit at my desk today and think about all the times we have been hundreds of miles apart but ended up in the same town, less than three miles away, and even working together for the same company, I realize exactly how blessed a man I am.

Happy Fathers Day Dad!


"Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you." Exodus 20:12

Comments