I Want To Do Right But.....

"So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand." Romans 7:21 ESV

If there was ever a verse that I can relate to it would have to be this one. How many times have I prayed a prayer of forgiveness, always concluding with a promise to never ever do that again? I can clearly see my own sin. I feel a deep sense of remorse and I have an overwhelming conviction to not let it happen again.

I wish it was that simple.

Because before too long, I did it again. I lost my temper (or anything else you can probably think of) and then I remember the prayer that I prayed and ask myself, What the heck is wrong with you? Why do you do this every single time? Why do you do things that you know aren't good for you? Are you broken?

What is wrong with me is that I am a very flawed individual. My heart is and can be very fertile ground for the evil plans and ploys of my enemy. What is wrong with me is that I am a human being. And being a human means that no matter what I do in my life that I will always fall short of the awesomeness and high standards set by God through the example of His Son, the one that I am supposed to be trying to emulate.

As I am sitting here writing this I can think of at least a million times that I have fallen into the trap before and had to come back to God asking for His forgiveness. The kicker now is that I catch my children behaving the same way and then I think to myself moron how can you expect them to be "perfect" and act right when you can't even do it!!! You are the adult and all that junk and you can't even do it???

I know right....

Just to be clear with you, God's grace is not a ticket to get of jail or a free pass to sin when ever you see fit. But I will tell you that it is somewhat liberating to know that the apostle Paul dealt with the very same issues in his life. It all is covered by one very simple thing.....


Grace. Only God's grace will do. And that gives me hope!


Comments