Fighter

"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36 ESV

People who are free tend to draw other people to themselves. They don't try to compete, compare, or control those who come to them. When they are no longer bound by the chains they built through their own insecurity and the lies of the enemy, they are able to be fully present and carefree about who they are. That is what every one in the history of ever wants. To be who they were created by God to be in the first place. To be unhindered by the doubt about themselves and free from the fear and insecurity that is holding them back. As you and I walk in freedom, that is exactly who we become.

Friend, understand me when I say this, freedom from insecurity and fear is not a destination or an end goal. This is a continuous process that takes your thoughts captive and making them bend to will of Christ. Once you overcome one thing that makes you insecure there will be another one that will rear its ugly head. I can tell you that I will always be in need of God's power and guidance to walk in freedom.

But trust me, when you find the freedom that you seek, you will know it and you will feel it! Don't be surprised if you run into someone that will try to negatively impact your journey. Most of the time these people are seeking the same freedom you are. They are fighting the same battles and need your love and grace as much as you need God's. You never know what kind of impact you can have on someones journey toward freedom from their own prison. We never know what someone else might be going through to overcome the prisons in their own lives. No one but Jesus can appreciate their pain, wipe their tears, take away their doubts and fears, and the questions that go into figuring out who it is that God has meant for you to be. It takes hard work, extreme dedication, large amounts of faith, and the encouragement of others around you to succeed. I wish I could say I have succeeded in being an encouragement but in that aspect I have failed. It is our duty to encourage one another in our walk towards the freedom that was already bought and paid for by Jesus Christ. Our walk with Christ is really a fight. Each of us is in a battle with the enemy on one battle field or another. It is when we stand together in the fray that we succeed.

When I make a commitment to stand and fight I often discover a power that I didn't know I had. A spiritual energy that gives me strength to do the things that I never thought I could do. Things that I know I could never do on my own. It is amazing when I commit myself to what God wants from me how the chains fall off and I am free to walk, even to run the race that He placed me in. My fears are swallowed up with faith in the Lord. The love of Christ frees me and fuels me towards action. There is nothing that can hold me back when I am connected to His love and His will for my life. When I connect myself to Christ I can feel my insecurities fall away and I am truly free to be the man I am meant to be. There isn't any room for fear and lies of my enemy about how I am not good enough and I stand my ground to fight for the freedom that has already been freely given to me.

“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,” Ephesians 6:10-18 ESV

I will give you a quick example from my own life:

When I was 16 years old I went to what would eventually be the college I chose to compete in a solo vocal competition. Let me just tell you that I was a nervous wreck. I tried to come up with every excuse for why I couldn't compete. I was scared that no one would like the song I chose or that they would laugh me out of the auditorium. While I knew that my voice was good I was scared that others would think that I sucked. As I sat there in the auditorium waiting for my turn, I found myself praying and literally crying out to God asking for Him to make something happen so I didn't have to perform. Well He made something happen that day. He told my pastor at the time to come down where I was sitting and sit beside me. He leaned over and told me that He was going to pray for me right then and there. And almost immediately I felt the peace of the Lord come over me in a way that I had never felt before. I felt the fear of what the others that where there would think, honestly I didn't even care what the judges thought after that. I went from complete and paralyzing fear to not giving two flips about who was there. I knew right then and there who was there listening to me. God. Simple as that. I was there not for the judges, not for the scholarship opportunity, and not for the others in attendance that day. I was there to sing my song for God and God alone. And sing I did! I honestly can't remember if I made it all the way through the song that day due to the tears that filled my eyes and the cracking in my voice. But I can tell you that I learned a lesson that day: I learned that if I am going to do anything in my life, whether it is singing, writing this blog, running my location for WCA, or simply being a good father and friend, I have to allow God to lead me, I have to do everything like I was doing it for God alone. No fear or insecurity can come into play. When you do what you are meant to do for God then these things will fall away like chains off a prisoner.

Comments