Believe It For Yourself

“Blessed are those who keep his testimonies, who seek him with their whole heart, who also do no wrong, but walk in his ways! You have commanded your precepts to be kept diligently. Oh that my ways may be steadfast in keeping your statutes! Then I shall not be put to shame, having my eyes fixed on all your commandments. I will praise you with an upright heart, when I learn your righteous rules. I will keep your statutes; do not utterly forsake me! How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word. With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments! I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes! With my lips I declare all the rules of your mouth. In the way of your testimonies I delight as much as in all riches. I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways. I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word. Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word. Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law. I am a sojourner on the earth; hide not your commandments from me! My soul is consumed with longing for your rules at all times.” Psalm 119:2-20 ESV 


I often wonder if I know God's word why do I have trouble believing it? You can have the knowledge to attain freedom and still be in bondage. It takes more than knowledge to be free. It takes action. 

Dale Carnegie once said, "Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage." Action is what you will get from dreaming about freedom then walking in it. 

For example, let's say for a moment that you needed some scripture to help you fight the lies in your life but when you find them you have to believe them. Do you believe that the knowledge you possess is true for you? God's truth is only transforming to the extent in which you believe it. It is just like eating a healthy meal, it has to be ingested and digested for it to be absorbed. We have to make God's word a living part of who we are. 

When I was struggling to gain freedom from some of the lies the enemy told me about myself I would read certain things in God's word and wonder to myself: "Is this really true for me? There is no way that I am good enough for this to apply to me." Sadly, there are times in my life when God's words fall flat on my ears. The reason? I simply don't actively believe them to be true in my life. My insecurity exempts me from the power of God's words. It is at those times that I have to realize that by thinking negatively, I am actively undermining myself and undermining the words that God had given me to help me overcome these lies. I don't need another "word," I just need to believe that the truth is IN the scriptures for me. God put them there for me and for you. 

Our ability to believe God's word and what it says about us is directly related to how much we trust Him. How much we trust Him is related solely on how well we know Him. If God is a stranger, you won't have a reason to trust Him. When you have only a casual relationship, trust isn't built because we don't know Him like we truly should. 

God intends for us to be as close to Him as a father, as intimate as a lover, and someone we can always trust to be there. Through this relationship we build a deep relationship that will last the span of time and bear any circumstance that we find ourselves in. When we read His word we know the Scriptures were written just for us because our hearts are captivated by His love for us. 

“For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:14-21 ESV 

Comments