The Problem

"but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and know Me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord." Jeremiah 9:24 ESV

Would you agree with me that someone can be very knowledgeable but remain completely unchanged by that knowledge? Every one of us know certain things that ought to be done but we all fail to do them. Would you say that is an accurate statement?

I know what food is good for me but I ignore that knowledge. I know that if I overspend that I can't pay my bills but I still do it sometimes. I know that in order to truly become great that I need to humble myself and serve, but too often I use my position and power to lord over others and manipulate them in order to satisfy my ego.

Knowledge without action is completely USELESS! We have to make a conscious decision to act on the knowledge that we have. Philippians 4:9 tells us, "What you have learned and receive and heard and seen in me-practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you."

There are literally tens of thousands of books out there on leadership development. Every week somewhere there is a leadership course being taught. Despite all the resources available today we are not turning out better leaders. I read recently that 90% of Americans believe that we are facing a crisis of leadership and that 61% believe that they work for a "bad boss" while 33% say that poor leadership at work is the most stressful part of their day to day activities. Where is the disconnect? Why are we suffering from poor leadership at almost every level of our society?

the leadership development that I have experienced focused mostly on management techniques, building competency, skills, and work place tactics but they all have failed to teach the most important parts that I believe are central to being a good leader. The person in leadership should be an individual of high character, integrity, and emotional intelligence.

I have personally experienced the perception that focusing on the character of a leader rather than the skills needed is "soft." The results of this are very clear: continued struggles, dissatisfied employees, frustrated leaders and chaotic and poor performing teams and organizations.

In reality, every tactical problem, even though on the surface seems to need a tactical answer, is ultimately rooted in weak character, leading out of fear, pride, not being able to distinguish right from wrong, and having misplaced priorities.It is only when we stay close to God's word and practice it daily that we have a lasting and positive impact on those people around us.

"He will render to each according to his works: to those who by patience in well doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, He will give eternal life; but for those who are self seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury." Romans 2:6-8 ESV


Comments