Am I Listening?

“For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money. Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master."
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭25:14-23‬ ‭ESV‬‬


Each and every leadership decision I have ever made was in no way a result of my intelligence or talent. It was directly due to God's goodness. All I am is a vessel for Him to work through, that is if I get out of His way and let Him do His will and not try to press my own agenda.

It doesn't matter whether you are a CEO of a fortune 500 company, an owner of a small business, a captain on your high school sports team, or simply a stay at home parent, let me reassure you that listening to God and doing what He says is NOT just for your pastor or professional ministers. It is for all of us. God wants us to be the best version of ourselves. He wants us to be the "you" that He made you to be.

The best advice I can give you to acheive this is to simply listen to God when He speaks to you and do exactly what He tells you. (I can't honestly say I have always done that but I sure am trying!)

How do you "hear" God? That simple: Read His Word. When we hear the Lord by reading the Bible and then by humbling ourselves in prayer to ask for His help, He opens the gates and the doors in our lives that need opening and closes the ones that need closing.

Almost every morning for the last five years (wish I could say it was longer), when I wake up, I take a moment to thank God for allowing me another day. I then sit on the side of my bed and open the app on my iPhone to my "Bible" and I do my best to allow God to shape my mind and heart for the say ahead. I try to lean into God as much as possible but honestly I still fail at that every single day. But through His word and the things that I hear Him communicating to me throughout the day I am humbled to be reminded of who He is, what He is doing, and ultimately who it is that I do everything I do for. All I have to do is slow down and LISTEN!

It is the time when my plate gets full with things that I feel like I have to do, rather than the things I am called to do, I begin to operate out of obligation and I promise that this is not a place you want to be. A leader's responsibility is not to make as many people happy as they possibly can. My primary responsibility as a leader is to be completely obedient to God.

As you start to say no to good things to make room for the things God tell's you to do people will get mad or grow irritated. When that happens remember that one day you will be standing before God and that you will be held accountable for whether or not you were obedient to what God asked you to do. We are all given stewardship over different things. Maybe it is your company, your house, your money, your time, and even your children, all these things will be things that God will ask us what we did and how we used them for Him.

Now ask yourself and ask God: AM I LISTENING?

Comments