Is It Choice Or Is It All Predetermined?

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He may give it to you." John 15:16 ESV

There is one thing that I am sure of: we are not going to get the whole debate about predestination and freewill cleared up until we get to heaven and can ask the Lord for the right answer.

And another thing I know: no matter how the end of the world are designed and unfolded by Him, God is ULTIMATELY in CONTROL OF EVERYTHING. Doesn't that take some of the stress of you? I know it does me! The cool thing is that none of us are heading off towards this alone. We are all called by Christ to make disciples of all the nations, but it isn't all up to us. Maybe someone accepts Christ and is assured of eternal salvation through the invitation that you or I give or maybe we are a catalyst for that person's decision for Christ through our example of study of His word or faithfulness in prayer. Maybe you simply encourage someone at the right and appointed time in their life who is struggling with issues in their life.

But the neat thing is that God chose us and will use us if we are willing. He isn't ever surprised by what happens to us and He won't be surprised by what might happen to others through us and our life's example. We are all to make the most of the opportunities, to grow and stretch in our faith, and ultimately to influence others to come to Christ. Through all this we are to trust in God and be lead by His Word. We aren't just supposed to float through life like a vapor, we are to walk through the doors that He opens and listen for His encouragement along the way.

It says in Isaiah 55:11, "so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but I shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." God's Word is what is producing the fruit through the Holy Spirit, not our hard work or efforts. God is fully capable of accomplishing His purpose without our help. I am called to be God's messenger, His ambassador, while I occupy this earth. I am not called to be God. And the cool thing is that even when I mess up, fall down, or say the wrong things, He will still use me and my effort to accomplish the purpose He has planned for me. Everything eventually leads back to one simple thing-His eternal plan.

Comments