First

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

I have been asking myself this question the last few weeks: How do I begin to set the right priorities for my life against the pull of the things that the world says are important? Maybe you've asked yourself that question too? I can tell you that it isn't easy but I can also tell you that it is absolutely essential if you want to make sure you don't miss the things that will matter the most in the long run.

The natural tendency with the verse above is to read the first part quickly order to get to the last thing Jesus says: "and all these things will be added to you." I know it does because I have caught myself doing it. And if I am completely honest, I live each day focusing mostly on what I "need" or what I "want." It's the stuff that smacks me in the face when I wake up each morning and becomes more and more pressing throughout the day. The pressing, stressful needs around me, even the good things, take focus away from what matters most: my relationship with God and the people He has placed in my life.

If I read the first part of the verse again: "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness." How can I do that? Does He not know about all the urgent things and obstacles that I am facing on a day to day basis? Is it even possible?

I have come to the realization that the only thing I can do is to keep doing what I am doing right now, keep taking a few moments everyday to be quiet with God and simply spend time with Him. When I do, I am often pleasantly surprised at how He lessens the worry that I am carrying and He gives me a moment's peace from the urgent needs and "priorities" for today in order to make room for His priorities.

Dedicating time to the priorities that God has entrusted you and I with may not seem significant right now, but to someone who needs you, it could make all the difference in their life and in yours.

Take time to determine what God is telling you is to be priority in your life. It begins by spending time with Him. It takes effort every single day.

Comments