Substance Over Style

Our search for significance shows up in a LOT of misdirected ways. There are traps all over the place that can cause you to lose focus on the right things but it seems more people today struggle with the traps of status, style, wealth, and the appearance of success. All of these things will never satisfy in the long run and they will leave us only wanting more. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with enjoying your life, but when having the right car, the right brand of clothes, living in the right neighborhood, or even living with the right partner becomes what defines who you are, you are attaching your significance to things that won't last. Cars get worn out and break down, clothes rip or you grow out of them, houses get weather worn, and spouses die. None of these things can go with you in the end. When these things lose their status, they lose their sense of significance and feel worthless. This is something that is all too common.

I don't know one person that will say that their mission in life is to choose style over substance, but sadly that is how most people live. And that keeps them from valuing the things that really do have worth in their lives. It shapes the decisions that they make about relationships, careers, where they live, and even how they will raise their children. And the thing that they don't realize is that they are passing this down to their children and turning them into spoiled, entitled adults. They are too busy trying to impress others, establishing their lifestyles, and add to their possessions. The result is that the ideal of of being people of substance takes a backseat to being people of style. They try to serve two masters, and the things of the most important Master get neglected.

I wish that I could tell you that I have lived a life of substance over style but that would simply not be the case. I have lived the life of chasing the almighty dollar and it has taken a serious wake up call to make me look at my priorities in a different light. I have learned recently that if I want to really live a life of significance, that I need to value the things of God over the things of the world. I have learned that I have to daily make conscious choices between substance and style, such as: using my money to meet someone else's needs over my own, spend more time encouraging those around me instead of wasting my time on less important distractions. Either substance or style will come first in my life, but I can't serve both equally. One of those masters will undermine my sense of significance and the other will lead me directly to it.

Which one will you choose? Substance or Style? A life of eternal significance or a life of fleeting pleasure? One will last and the other will fade....choose wisely.

"Therefore do not be anxious, saying "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:31-33 ESV

Comments