The Perfect Prescription

How often do we minister only to those who are like us or have their acts together? People that are just like us? I would almost have to say that we do it most of the time. It is only natural since it is more comfortable for us to deal with those that think, act, and look like us. We have an idea how to approach someone who is different than we are but those are not the only lives that God has called us to make a difference in.

Jesus said in Mark 2:17, "When Jesus heard this, He told them, 'Healthy people don't need a doctor-sick people do. I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners.

As a long time fisherman, I can appreciate the many fishing references that Jesus used to make His point with the people around Him. I have heard it said many times that Jesus simply asks us to catch the fish and let Him do the cleaning. Simply put we don't clean a fish before we get it in the boat.

I don't know about you, but I imagine it will take a lot of love to clean me up from my past sins but also the present sinful situations I have created. And the future? That is a story all its own. I can't begin to understand that. The key is that we understand that we are no better than anyone else and when we begin to love others the way that we are called to we will finally see true forgiveness, love, mercy, and grace. We will all continue to struggle with sin as long as we inhabit a body on this fallen Earth. It will only end when we enter into eternity with God. God's loving forgiveness is ours for the asking and that my friend is a comforting thought. He is always there to clean us when we get dirty.

We are assured that Jesus' sacrificial love and forgiveness covers our sins. That assurance and the cleansing power that comes with it, provides each one of us with a fresh starting point when we have fallen down the hill and slipped back into the mire and muck, ultimately falling short of God's standard for our lives. Sin is a shameful part of human nature but my friend, so is love. Hate the sin but love the sinner.

Love given or received is the perfect prescription for the things that ail us.

Comments