Giant

Everyone has a giant in their life at some point. Whether it is an actual person or it is a inward struggle with a sin that they can't seem to conquer, we all have giants in our lives. If you look closely at God's word you will find many battles with many different giants. One specifically was when David stood up on behalf of God against a man twice his age, his experience, and quite a bit larger than David, he had the courage to stand up to the giant on God's behalf.

When I was in junior high there was one guy inparticular that used to pick on me unmercifully. At that time in my life I was awkward and very unsure of who I was supposed to be. Everyone in junior high, if they are truthful, feels the same way at some time or another. This guy had the fear of most everyone in the school. He was bigger, meaner, and he looked stronger than anyone else and no one would dare pick a fight with him. My dad had always told me not to go looking for a fight but that if the fight came to me that I had better step up and do what ever I had to do to end it. One day I had enough of the teasing and the picking on me and I finally wanted to be able to stop avoiding him and the internal shame that came with it.

David is in somewhat the same place I was. He was traveling to see his brothers at the battlefield not to fight but bring lunch. If you don't know this, the little brother often will become the gopher for his older siblings. When he nears the camp he over hears this giant of a man, a Philistine named Goliath, talking some serious smack about God and about His people, the Israelites. It doesn't take long before David has heard quite enough of this fool spouting off about his people and disrespecting his God. David has the courage to to do something where the rest of Israel didn't. He trusted in God to deliver unto him this giant of a man that was running down His name and that name of His people. David was the smallest and most inexperienced person that could have stepped foot on that battlefield that day but, he was also the most devoted and the most faithful. God intends for you and I to be like David when we are challenged. We are called to speak up on God's behalf when everyone else around us remains silent in the presence of the giant.

My friend, what is the giant in your life today? What is the giant in your community today? What keeps you from what God has planned for you to do for Him? Today might be the day that you have t step up to bat for God in the presence of men that are speaking against God.

That bully I was talking about earlier, He pushed me one too many times and finally one day I stepped up and knocked him down. It is amazing how a busted nose can change a persons perspective about how they treat others. I never again had to worry about him after that. Just like David, I stepped up to the challenge and came our victorious. We all have giants that keep us cowering in fear, afraid of who might find out, or that we will look weak in the eyes of our peers but friend we have to live courageous like David and step up. Don't allow the giant to rob you of the blessings that God has in store for you.

The Lord will help you see how, where, and to whom you can speak up for Him, if you simply ask Him. He will help you not to be silent in the moments when we should speak up for Him. Just look around for areas in your life where you can speak up. I promise if you look it won't take too long to find them. Whatever it is, look for a way to speak on behalf of God to answer the giant.


"And David said to the men who stood by him, 'What shall be done for the man who kills the Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?" 1st Samuel 17:26 ESV

Comments