When I Grow Up

Kids are often asked this very important question as they are growing up, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" And the kicker is that this answer can change hundreds of times over the span of their childhood. I can remember wanting to be a fireman, a policeman, a coach, a professional baseball player, and a musician when I was growing up. No one ever says that they want to be a criminal when they grow up or that they want to be hopelessly addicted to drugs when they are a child.

If I was totally honest I really didn't want to be any of those things when I was a kid. I just wanted to be one thing. I wanted to be my dad. I wanted to have the ability to fix something that was broken. I wanted to have the respect of those around me as he has. I wanted to be a father as good or better than he was. My father wasn't perfect but he was always fair. He worked hard and taught me the value of hard work. He taught me that a man is only as good as his word, something I am sad to say that I haven't always been able to do. He taught me that a man takes care of those placed in his care. That he shows mercy when it is needed to be shown. I can remember my father reaching out his hand to those in need, showing grace to men that in reality probably didn't deserve it but he showed it to them anyways because that was the right thing to do.

When I grow up I simply want to be a Godly, honest, upright, and righteous man. I want to be the best father, brother, friend, and son I can be. I want so desperately to be the man that I am called to be. I think that if we are truly honest with each other we all desire to be this man. We all want to grow up to be good men and in turn help our sons grow up to be good men.

I am a commercial sales manager for a construction debris disposal company and I can sale $1,000,000 worth of containers for a major project but if my children don't see Christ in me or in my actions than what is that worth? What is the eternal value of this? Sure I can look awesome in front of my peers and I could put a major deposit in my bank account but what is the real value of it? A wise friend once told me that to truly be oneself is better than to put on a mask and dance for those that truly have no value in your life.

I get to work everyday with my hero. I get to spend time listening to my dad (even though he thinks I don't) about business and life in general, there is no greater privilege for a son than to get to work alongside his father. I am thankful that I have that opportunity. He has always been there for me when I needed him and what more could a son ask of his father. So thanks dad! Thanks for being my hero, my example, and the one person I can always count on.

Comments