Pain Reveals Purpose

I have learned recently that the pain that I am feeling will often reveal God's purpose for me. God never, ever wastes a hurt or a painful experience. If you go through pain and suffering, then He wants to teach you how to help others that might go through the same pain. He wants us to share our pain in order to teach others. God can and will use the problems in your life to minister to others around you. In fact, the very thing that you are most ashamed of or struggling with the most could become your greatest ministry in helping other people.

Who can help someone going through bankruptcy better than someone who has experienced it? Who can help someone with an addiction to drugs better than a recovered addict? Who can help with the stress and the struggles of raising a special needs child better than someone that has lived it? Who can help you when you lose the person you love the most more than someone that has lived it?

The very thing that you hate the most in your life is what God wants to use for good in your life.

The Bible says in 2nd Corinthians 1 verses 4 and 6, "who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer."

This is called redemptive suffering and it is when you go through a problem or pain in your life for the benefit of others later in life. This is the example laid down by our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. When Jesus died on the cross, He didn't deserve to die. He went through that pain for our benefit. So that we might be redeemed and be able to spend eternity with God instead of being eternally separated from their fellowship.

There are many different causes for the problems. pain, and suffering our lives. Sometimes the junk that happens we bring upon ourselves. When I make a stupid decision, then in turn it causes pain in my life. If I go out and over spend and buy things that I can't afford it then I end up deep in debt. If I lose my home or my car as a result then I can't blame God for my bad choices.

But there are times when I am totally innocent in my pain and problems. I have been hurt by the pain and stupidity of other people and some of the pain that I feel is for redemptive suffering. God will allow us to go through a problem so that we can help others dealing with the same stuff.

So the next time you are going through a difficult time stop, ask God to teach you what He wants to from this time in your life, and count it all glory.

Comments