Praying Before....Not Just After

"In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry. May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm." Psalm 20:1

"May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the Lord answer all your prayers." Psalm 20:5

It's hard to remember when we're in the middle of tough situations, but while we are in the midst of them and wondering how in the world they will ever end or how we will get out of them, we are doing nothing proactive to change the current environment. In my life I tend to worry more than normal. I worry about all sorts of things: my kids, my finances, my job, my family,etc.

I have learned that worry is a negative response and does little - other than focus my attention on the problem causing my worry - to help me overcome the problem. Prayer, on the other hand, is a positive and calming response that draws me back into God's family and allows me to focus only on God my Father. It helps calm my inner storm. In the midst of these storms of life I know I shouldn't be worrying but instead praying.

Jesus has told us more than once that we should pray when we have a moment of need for ourselves and others:

"And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly I say to you, they have received their reward." Matthew 6:5 ESV

"But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Matthew 6:6 ESV

"And He told them a parable to the effect to pray and not lose heart." Luke 18:1 ESV

Throughout God's Word, God makes it abundantly clear to us that we are to pray, to devote ourselves to prayer, to pray without ceasing, to pray continually, and to pray boldly with the God who loves us. Jesus set the example for us in Luke 5:16, "But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray."

Then why don't I pray as consistently and fervently as I should to my Father? It could be that I don't believe anything will happen - that my prayers won't result in the answers that I seek. Maybe it's not a habit that I have developed so I turn to worry before I know all that He intends for me to know.

Please allow me to suggest this, the next time something happens and you sense worry start to creep into your heart and your mind, stop and turn to God in prayer. Allow Him to draw you back into the center of His will. Allow Him to carry your burden. Allow Him to draw you back into the center of His will.

Comments