Imperfection

In the beginning, human sin and rebellion soon marred God's good creation. Like a family of irresponsible tenants, Adam and Eve and their children tore down the beauty of God's masterpiece. To put as plain as I know how, right after the human race showed up, the whole neighborhood went to hell.

Who would have blamed God if He had written us off? He was heartbroken that His children had done the exact opposite of what He told them not to. But He did an awesome thing for us. He sent His Son. A Son that knew exactly what our weaknesses were and yet He still wanted to be here with us.

Before Jesus started His ministry He was a carpenter. If it was built from wood, Jesus probably knew how to make it. I find that people that can make grand and wonderful things from a hard and coarse piece of wood fascinate me. Not only was He an earthly carpenter, Jesus was a Master Carpenter. And He knows each one of us inside and out because He had a hand in making us. He knows every knot and crack in the wood that is our lives. He knows our possibilities and our limits. He knows each one of our dreams and the fears that keep us up at night. Ultimately Jesus understands how each one of us is made and He still accepts us for who we are and believes in what we can become.

I have tried many times to "fool" Christ but ultimately the only "fool" was me. We can't do it even if we really wanted to. At times in my life, I have tried to disguise parts of myself that I feared would arouse scorn and ridicule from others. With Christ I can emerge from behind the wall that I built, knowing that He accepts "unacceptable" people. The world may condemn me for not achieving it's ideal of perfection, but Christ embraces me even with all my many shortcomings.

I am thankful that Christ recognizes my imperfections and He still values me more than silver or gold. He has ideas for improvements in us all but He loves us first and that is a reassuring thing. I am thankful that He looks at me through the eyes of a Master Carpenter and sees that the twisted and crooked parts of me can be useful to Him and His purposes.

Comments