What does it reflect?

Imagine you are standing looking into a mirror. This amazing, reflective piece of glass that is there to help you see if your hair is fixed just right, that your neck tie is straight, your fly is zipped, and you always take a final look to make sure everything is just as it should be.

As I have grown older(and fatter) and I hope a bit wiser, I have figured out that a mirrors usefulness isn't just showing me whether or not I am looking good or not. Each time I look into the mirror, I literally see someone new, of course, a grayer and more wrinkled new, but new all the same. As I gaze at my reflection I am invited to take a long, honest look at myself. To look within and honestly see where I am on my path to being all that God has created me to be.

Too often our method of being humble is to drag ourselves down. This isn't the right method(in my opinion) because God tells us that we are each uniquely crafted. We actually we should be simply elevating ourselves and others around us.

I find that I need that deep look within to put things back into place and perspective, especially when the "world" wants to lift me up for my accomplishments or drag me down for my failures. To bring myself back to reality of all that I am in Christ, I remind myself that the "world" doesn't define me anymore than the reflection in that mirror does. I am defined and glorified by my personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

The next time you find yourself standing in front of your mirror, take an honest evaluation, this will keep you from taking too much stock in your ability and thinking to highly of yourself, but it will also remind you not to be too harsh on yourself or think too little of yourself. Just like me, you are hand crafted creation of the Father and are unique in His eyes.

Remember this: Don't just look into the reflection, look deep within. Be honest and open because God knows what is really being seen.

"Don't think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us." Romans 12:3

Comments