Why does this happen over and over?

"I have discovered this principle of life-that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong." Romans 7:21

If there ever was a verse that I could relate to, it's this one. How many times have I prayed for forgiveness, concluding with the promise that I won't lose my temper (or fill in the blank with plenty of other sins) the next time around? I can clearly see my sin. I feel the deep sense of remorse, and I have an overriding conviction not to let it happen again.

I wish it were so easy!

Because before long, I have committed that same debilitating sin again and I am reminded of that heartfelt, sincere prayer and I think to myself, What is wrong with me? What is broken in me that I can't seem to stop doing the things that I know to be wrong and therefore sin?

What is wrong with me is that I am a flawed creation. A sinner with a very fertile heart that will breed sin anytime I plant the seed. What is wrong is that in my humanness I am bound to fall short of the glory of God and the standard set by His Son, my Savior, whose example I am trying to emulate.

I try and remember the moments that I have fallen before, asking God once again for His grace. And when I find myself correcting the same behavior in my kids, I think, How can I expect them to be perfect when I-someone older, supposedly wiser, and more experienced- have such a difficult time?

As we say around our house, Nope! Ain't happening!

Just to be clear, God's grace is not a ticket to get out of jail or a pass to sin at will. But I must admit I find it comforting to know that the Apostle Paul struggled with the same thing in his life. That gives me hope and should comfort you also.

Remember this one thing: ONLY God's grace will ever do!

Comments