Instrument

What is your "instrument"? What is it that God has gifted you with? Is it playing a guitar? Is it playing the piano? Is it singing God's glory with your voice? Is it writing down your words for the building up of others? Is it being mechanically inclined and using your talent to help your neighbors? Do you understand biochemical engineering (I'll admit I don't actually know anyone that does this but I thought it sounded cool)? Is it being hospitable to others and making them feel at home? Is it teaching other peoples children and giving that mom or dad a much needed break?

What are your crafted and molded to do for God?

What ever your "instrument" is, God has gifted you a certain way for a certain task. Some of us are singers, others are in the band but all of us are using our talents for the glory of God. We are all 'instruments' of praise for God.

Who am I that God should entrust me with the "talent" to do anything? I am selfish and prone to take applause as sign of the 'thing' I have done instead of for God and His praise. It is not the gift but the way we use the gifts we are entrusted with that matters.We should be so honored and flattered to be able to use that talents that God has given us for His purposes.

Jesus gives us all a song that no one else can sing but the one it was intended for. Whether it is using your voice to sing the praises of God, playing your instruments and making big men cry (I am a big softy), fixing a computer for someone that is technologically challenged, working with a child that has special needs, or simply arranging a few flowers for the front of the sanctuary on Sunday morning to add to the beauty of God's house. Everything that we do, whether we realize it or not, is meant to be done for the glory of God. It's not meant for us to use as a way to have a 'Hey! Look at me!' moment.

I marvel at people that can look at a piece of wood or stone and see the "thing" that is on the inside of it. They look past the knots or chips and see the beauty that is on the inside. The 'original' purpose that it was intended for. Sounds a lot like God doesn't it? He looks past our scars, our inside 'ugly' side that no one ever sees, and chooses to find the beauty that we are intended for.

For me personally, when I am singing either in church, alone in the car, or just singing for my kids when they were small, I feel like I am showing my love for Him and I can't hold back the tears. As I sing I remember how far He has brought me and know how much farther we have to go together!

I feel the same way when I am able to help someone by repairing their car. It is not my chosen profession but it is a gift that was passed down by my earthly father and one that I am extremely thankful for. It was one that started when I was young boy following around at his heels and annoying him for sure from time to time, but I learned at the feet of a wise man that taught me about how things work but also a respect for men that work with their hands. He gave me a work ethic that is second to none! At the time I didn't appreciate the things that he tried to teach me but I look back and see the hand of God in my fathers work,in the way it has affected me, and the way that it affects my children as I pass on my knowledge to them. That was dad using the "gift" that God gave him knowing it would benefit others down the road.

So don't let the enemy tell you that your 'instrument' can't be used for God or for His purposes.

And if you don't know what your "instrument" is, just get into His word and be in prayer and I promise God will reveal what He wants you do. Odds are you are probably already using a "gift" from the Father to glorify Him.

Always remember that everything we do can be used for praise of our Father in heaven.

Comments