Absorb

If you have hydrangeas in your yard, you may have heard of this. Some people swear that if you plant rusty nails with a pink-blooming hydrangea, the flowers will change to blue over time. Supposedly it has something to do with adding the metal to the soil. Gardeners know that the hydrangea is the "litmus" paper of the flower world. It's color is affected by the pH level and the amount of aluminum in the soil.

Like all plants, the hydrangea absorbs its food through its roots and the beautiful blooms are the outcome.

We are like that too. We absorb what is around us and reflect it back in different ways, either good or bad. Someone lets us pull out in front of them in traffic and we wave someone else in further down the road. Someone shares a word of encouragement or prayer with us, and when we return home our spouse or children can be the recipient of a kind word or a warm embrace as a result.

What we take in often comes back in ways we can't anticipate. The key is to make sure that what we absorb is helpful to us and glorifying to God. It must demonstrate that we know our bodies and minds are God's temple, the home of the Holy Spirit.

I was always told trash in, trash out. One of the major influences in my life has always been music. I have found through my life when I listen to music that inspires violence or anger I am more prone to react that way. I have found when I listen to songs that edify the Lord and lift Him up that I find myself thinking more about the things of God. Don't believe me? Try for 30 days to stop listening to what ever style of music that you prefer, whether it is country, rap, or rock, and listen to songs that lift up His name and His ways, then tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Now I must ask a question of you as well of myself. What are you absorbing into your life today? Do you need more healthy things, more God, more love? Do you need to eliminate things that cripple your walk with God?

Our mind is like a sponge. The things that we absorb in are really difficult to get out. Keep the "sponge" clean and focus on things that glorify and edify God.

Comments