Skinned Knees

 When you were a little kid, did you ever skin your knees? And if you were like me as a kid, you tried and tried that trick on your bike until you finally ended up in a heap of metal and pavement sliding across the ground. The ones that hurt the most were the ones that scabbed over quickly and were still sore underneath. Every time you put on a pair of jeans, the fabric bumping it would make you want to crawl out of your skin. Bottom line, despite the scab, it wasn't healed underneath. And because it wasn't healed, you became intentional to not feel that pain again. The same thing happens with the hurts that we carry on the inside. I am talking about the emotional and mental scabs that we all have around every single day. Scars and scabs in your heart and your mind. 

Scars like these can come from all sorts of places. It might be getting yelled at when you were a kid or a traumatic event that took place in your life. And if we allow ourselves to keep these areas raw and sore, rather than exposing them and allowing them to heal, we will never be free from them and the effects they can have on our lives. We must make a conscious effort to change the way we think, and in the same way, it will change how we speak and act.

I have to be intentional about overcoming my depression and anxiety. There is not one person walking this earth that can take those things away from me. It takes me to stop myself from saying and doing what I have done, taking the steps necessary to allow those hurts in my life to heal. I have to step in, rip off the coverings, and let the wounds I carry be healed. In allowing the access needed to these painful areas of my life, healing will begin, and I will have a change of mind and spirit. I will stop thinking the way I was thinking. I will stop saying the negative things I was saying. But it takes work on my part too. I must make a concerted effort to be mindful of the events and be thoughtful in dealing with them. And by dedicating myself to these things, they will become second nature to me. I will have allowed the hurts and wounds of my past life to heal. The scars will be there, but they won't hurt like they did before when they were scabbed up and raw. 

When we accept the discomfort of healing, we will see real, lasting change in our life. 

Comments