Sticks N Stones

         I grew up hearing that old adage, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!”

        What a lie! When I was in the 5th grade my family moved from rural eastern Arkansas to Birmingham, AL. I was this country kid from a small town and all the kids in school always made fun of me because I was from the country. It was a culture shock for me. They made fun of me because I didn’t have the same clothes or shoes. Sometimes, my nickname was hillbilly or redneck. I had grown up with my friends back home and coming from a small town I was feeling seriously out of place. 

       They made fun of me because I was tall and skinny for my age and had long arms, and they made fun of me because I didn’t talk like them and i didn’t know who Alabama or Auburn was. I experienced my first bully right after we moved there. Every day was a challenge for me, but if words couldn’t hurt me, why did I cry so much when the kids’ said things that hurt my feelings? Why did I feel so insecure about being in Alabama? 

        Through the years I’ve discovered that words can heal and they can hurt. Scripture has a lot to say about our words. Proverbs 21:23 says we can get ourselves in trouble with our own words. Proverbs 18 says our words (tongue) can heal us or they can kill us. James 3:3 says our tongue determines our path in life, and Matthew 12 says we are justified by our own words and condemned by our own words. What you say is what you get.

That being the case, it is time now to focus on what I have learned and stop confessing depression. I have made the step to begin the healing process from this evil disease. I don’t want to miss out on the plans that God has for me because of what I say or the words that I take in. 

This is the day that I will begin to be intentional about confessing the healing in my life. I dont want to continue to confess the big problem. Today begin I with confessing that my God is bigger! Bigger than my fears. Bigger than my problems. Bigger than anything the enemy can throw into my path. 

I have to continuously meditate on the Word, praise Him for the progress in my life, and continue walking by faith. It is when I turn to prayer and turn to scripture that I can see breakthroughs in my life. I also need to turn to speaking those scriptures over the situation. Allow God to keep his promises to me. Bottom line:. What you say is what you get. Change your words!

Comments