It Doesn't Mix?

I grew up hearing that a man should never mix two things: politics and religion. But as I have grown older and gained more knowledge about the Bible and the history of my country, I have found that to be contrary to what the Scriptures say. Popular culture would tell you something quite different but explain then how the Old Testament prophets stood toe to toe with the rulers and kings of their day about social injustices that were being committed, immoral activity, or blatant disregard for God's principles.

Ever heard of Dietrich Bonhoeffer? He died at the hands of the Nazi regime because he knew what they were doing to be wrong and immoral. He took a stand for God and paid the ultimate price. What about Youcef Nadarkhani? He was a pastor who would spend long periods of time in Iranian jails and dungeons because he refused to stop proclaiming that Jesus was Lord and refused to convert over to Islam.

I could give literally hundreds of more examples of men and women who have risked it all to stand up for what they know in their hearts to be true. Yet today, too many "Christians" either are too afraid to speak up when they see something they know to be wrong or when it comes time to exercise their rights, they don't get down to the polls to vote.

I know that there will come a day when I will leave this world and I will be judged according to how faithful I was to Jesus Christ. If that costs me friends or a position or causes me to lose a place in some sort of political party, then so be it. If it causes those who claim to know me to call me radical in my beliefs, then so be it. If it causes someone to "unfriend, unfollow, or unsubscribe" from my social media page or this blog, so be it. I am committed to doing what Jesus tells me to do, from this day to my last day, no matter the cost. And that means I can't sit idly by and support a nation, a candidate, or a government that openly works against God's Word and what it stands for.

It may make you uncomfortable to read what I wrote above but when you follow Christ, Christ leads. Period. And if you follow Jesus' lead, then as His representative everywhere you are and everywhere you go. That means voting according to what God says is right and not according to a political agenda, race, gender, or any other reason you can think of.


Comments