Be Still

"Be still, and know that I am God." 
Psalms 46:10 ESV 

Highways in most of our major cities have HOV lanes. These lanes were created for people that commute with passengers in their vehicles so that can travel faster than the other crowded lanes and help eliminate extra traffic on the roads during peak travel times. 

As I have traveled the country, I have found myself using these lanes when allowed and as I think about it, I believe that these lanes reflect our culture as Americans. We live in an "I want it now" culture. Want something quick to eat? Hit the fast food joint. Don't want to make the phone call? Just send a quick text. We want everything, everywhere, and we want it right now. No one is exempt from the constant pressure to keep moving, not even our kids. We have almost come to the point where any form of delay in our individual progress cause immediate and ugly frustration.

A few months ago, I found myself in the Boston Mountain Range of Northwest Arkansas. Now, I am a die hard Razorback fan and this area is right in the backyard of Hog country. There is no HOV lane. And if you get off the interstate you had better know where you are headed because GPS and Cell service is spotty at best in certain areas. But as I drove the interstate north towards my destination, I couldn't help but admire the creation that God has made in those hills and valleys.

After I finished my business in Fayetteville I decided to drive over towards Harrison, Arkansas to see another customer. It was a long way on a two-lane highway but I something told me that I needed to take the time to drive that path that day. As I drove through the Northwest Arkansas hills surrounded by mountains and beautiful landscapes everywhere I looked I came to a fork in the road. I had four choices of direction to head and every one of them looked similar but only one of them was the right way. At that crossroad, there was an old gas station and outside it sat an old man in a straw hat. I stopped to simply ask him which direction it was to Harrison and I ended up talking with him for almost an hour. I knew that my time was short and that I had meetings to get to but something told me not to rush this opportunity. 

Now I can't tell you anything profound that came from that conversation, except that I knew I was taking the time to talk with an elderly man who had lived in that area his whole life. He got to see those same trees turn green in the spring and change colors in the fall. I learned that he had recently buried his wife and we discussed how we had that in common. What struck me most was that the whole time he had the same comforting smile on his face. And I knew then as clearly as I do now that I needed to spend some time with him that day. It was an hour well spent and I still made my meeting on time. 

In my world, time is at a premium. I always have a conference call, a meeting, or a customer demanding my time. When I get interrupted or distracted it brings on frustration or harsh words. But if I learn to take these interruptions for what they really can be, interruptions of the Holy Spirit, that were designed for my benefit and definitely not for my detriment. I just have to slow down and be still.  

Comments