Get Up Off The Mat

Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk”
John 5:8 ESV 

Imagine with me hearing these words as they were spoken to a man who had been sick for 38 years! His bed had been a constant in his life and it was carrying him, and now Jesus was telling him to get up and carry his bed!

It is easy to do what God says when it seems easy to us but what do we do when it is something hard for us to do or something that seems impossible? The answer is found in the above verse. It is to obey what God tells you. It doesn't tell us to hear what God says then do what we want or to hear God then do part of what He says. It tells us to do as God tells us. I mean to a man who had been carried on his bed for the last 38 years, I am sure rising up and carrying his bed must have sounded pretty crazy. Imagine your pastor walking up to a handicapped member of your church and telling him to get out of his chair and walk around the room. But the moment this man began to obey what Christ told him, a new life and a new strength began to flow into his previously useless limbs.

We have to train ourselves to listen for the Lord’s instructions that are spoken into our hearts. We have to discipline ourselves through a search for them in His Word and prepare ourselves for what He tells us. There is no faith without action and there is no action without faith. There will always be something that God will require you to do in order to release or express your faith in Him.

It may make complete sense to you—or it may not. But as John tells us in chapter 2 verse 5, “Whatever He says to you, do it."

I have noticed in my own life that I tend to get stuck in my problems, not because God hasn't given me direction or assistance to get out of the mud and mess I have made but because I haven't obeyed Him in some way. I have been disobedient to Him and it is only when I finally go back and repent for my sinfulness and I accept what He has for me, then I finally see movement in my life.

I can tell you from personal experience if there are any areas of disobedience in your life, get busy and do what the Lord has been telling you to do. It is the only way to get unstuck in your life. Start with finding an older Christian or a pastor to confide in. Tell them about the struggle in your life and be open to them holding you accountable to the removing the obstacle in your life. Then you will start to get up off the mat and get unstuck.

Comments