For Hannah

"We love because He first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from Him: whoever loves God must also love his brother."
1st John 4:19-21 ESV

Joseph of Cyprus was a member of the early church. The name used more commonly was simply "Barnabas." His name literally means "son of encouragement." He had apparently mastered the art of encouraging those around him. And that could be the reason Paul chose him to go along on so many of his missions. Each of those trips was long and hard, full of peril, obstacles, and opposition at every turn. All in all, I don't think that they were the kind of "mission" trips that we would understand in the churches of the United States. But I can imagine that a "son of encouragement" is exactly who you would want on those trips.

Now I am going to get personal for a minute. Everyone needs a "Barnabas" in their life. Mine is my wife, Hannah. I don't think she would mind me sharing a little of her story to explain why she is so special to me and such a "Barnabas" to me. 

Several years ago, she was diagnosed with what I have come to learn is one of the worst diseases you can get. She has a condition called "gastroparesis." Gastroparesis is a paralysis of the stomach. In lamens terms, it means that her stomach doesn't process the food she takes in the way that it is supposed to and the food she eats just sits there in her stomach for an abnormally long period of time. This slowing of her stomach brings with it all sorts of bad things, such as stomach and abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, uncontrollable vomiting, heartburn, and it can also lead to serious health complications and malnutrition. As of today, there is really no safe or reliable treatment for her condition. Her disease is literally like being stuck on a roller coaster with all the ups, downs, twists, and turns. A roller coaster you can never get off. A ride that throws you here and there with no relief in sight. 

Now I don't tell you all this to seek sympathy and I believe she would agree with me in that respect. What I do intend to express is the joy, compassion, and encouragement that she gives to me every single day in spite of the pain and sickness that she carries. She could choose to let her pain rule her life, let it dictate who she is and what she does or doesn't do for others. It would be easy to just be angry all the time and blame God for her trouble but she doesn't do that. Not to say she doesn't have bad days, who wouldn't, but she soldiers through due to her faith in Jesus Christ and the belief that only He can determine her outcome. 

I can tell you this that without her encouragement every day, I know my life would be all the poorer. She never fails to lift up others and give them encouragement through her words or actions. She lives out the commandment that I referenced above to love one another and be an encourager for someone in need. And I don't believe I read where it says that we should only do it when we feel like it. She is the example to me of what an encourager or "Barnabas" is supposed to be. 

And it is this which convicts me at my core. How many missed opportunities have I lost due to my inaction to simply encourage someone around me? When I notice someone has done a good job do I tell them or do I simply let it pass by? When was the last time I did something for someone simply because it was a nice thing to do or do I only do it because I expect some sort of reciprocity? When is the last time I intentionally tried to make a positive memory for my wife? For my children? For someone that simply needs to hear a kind word?

I can choose to leave a trail of positive memories in the lives of the people closest to me or I can leave a wreckage of missed opportunities stacked up like junk cars. I want to be more like my wife Hannah. I want to live a life of encouragement rather than miss the chances that are presented to me every single day. I want to strive to be intentional with everyone I come in contact with and that starts with my wife, my kids, and those closest to me. Our lives are comprised of plenty of memories, but we can create good ones for those around us. Our encouragement of each other can be the thing that keeps us all going strong. 

PS

Hannah when you read this know that I love you and covet your words of encouragement. You are a blessing every single day to me and an shining example of what a "barnabas" is supposed to be. 

Comments