Cure For Sickness

"If the biggest sinner you know isn't you, then you don't know yourself very well." Jean Larroux

I am like most men that I know, I will never, ever admit when I am sick nor will I freely admit when I am in pain. Unfortunately, as I get older, they both seem to be coming with greater frequency. I can remember when I was a kid, all I wanted to do was get up and go play even though I was running a high fever but I had to stay quarantined to my room until my fever was gone. I can remember my mother threatening me more than once to get back in the bed and stay there. And I can tell you that not much has changed as I have grown up (other than now it's my wife and not my mother telling me to stay in the bed).

I am a grown man now with grown man things to do every single day. I run a successful business and I don't have the time to deal with the aches and pains and any sickness that might come up from time to time. But my wife, in her infinite wisdom, will still leave me medicine on the counter in the morning so that I can start to feel better. She shows that she cares for my health and well being by leaving these pills on the counter for me. My wife will ask me if I took my medicine and as per usual I tell her no and she in turn tells me that I will not be getting anywhere near her until I start feeling better so...I cave and take my medicine. But I still refuse to accept the fact that I am sick. Hard headed huh? 

Well what happens when you admit that you are sick? You have to change. You have to do things differently than you normally would. You would rather live in a fantasy land where you never ever get sick and everything is sunshine and rainbows. Well bubba, this ain't Fantasy Island. I get sick. I have to bend and admit that I am sick or I will never get any better. I tried to ignore being sick before and where did it get me? In the hospital, right beside all those other sicky people. (I get the heebs just thinking about it!)

Our spiritual state is no different. Until we admit that we have need for a grace saving experience we will never change. We will always be plagued with the same spiritual sickness that we suffer with until we admit that it is a problem. And it doesn't matter what that spiritual sickness is. 

The Bible has accurately diagnosed our problem, we all suffer from a condition called sin. Romans 5:12 tells me, “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned." Sin is a virus and its end result is death and separation from God. We are all suffering with the same disease and unless it is treated, it is a terminal condition. But friend believe me when I tell you that there is hope. 

Romans 5:15-18 says, “But the free gift is not like the trespass. For if many died through one man's trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many. And the free gift is not like the result of that one man's sin. For the judgment following one trespass brought condemnation, but the free gift following many trespasses brought justification. For if, because of one man's trespass, death reigned through that one man, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ. Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men.” 

How about that for a life changing cure? God gave us the remedy for the death causing illness through the grace and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We can always try to minimize what we did, we can try to dress it up and say what we've done isn't that bad but without the free grace through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ we would all still be killing sheep and putting its blood n our door posts once a year and be dead in our sin. Our sin, your sin, my sin, is worse than we could ever imagine. Jesus was the only man that ever lived that went through life without the polluting of His blood by sin. He was the cure to the problem that we all faced and He willingly stepped in and took the punishment for all our sickness (sin.) There is absolutely nothing so terrible that I have done that grace won't cover. The grace that Christ gives us is the greatest gift that we could ever receive


"The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost."
1st Timothy 1:15 ESV

Comments