Sold Out

“See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no "root of bitterness" springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled; that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.” ‭‭Hebrews ‭12:15-16‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Bad decisions tend to look even worse after you have had a few years to think back on what you did in that one moment. One of my favorite Bible stories involve the brothers Jacob and Esau. It is a story that carries tons of different dynamics and teaches many different lessons to the reader. But the one that sticks out to me is that Esau would be willing to sell out his birthright for a meal. Not even a big meal, steak and shrimp with mashed potatoes and chocolate cake, he sold out for stew.

Esau was a man like me, he loved to hunt. The difference was that he hunted to survive while I hunt for sport and relaxation. One day, Esau came home from his favorite hunting spot and he was, as the Bible tells me, "famished." Jacob was cooking up some sort of stew and told his brother that he would share it with him, but only if Esau would give him his birthright.

Now in these times, birthright was no small thing. These men were sons of Issac, who was the son of Abraham. A birthright included all the benefits of the family name, and with a family name like Abraham, this would be a birthright that you would want to keep. But Esau let his physical desires drive his thinking and he made the deal of the century with his little brother. A perfect example of a short term gain for a long term loss.

Wrapped up in the core of this is the very nature of temptation. It is the masking of the truth that all sin has consequences. I accept the offer of temporary relief or pleasure, even though I know there will be long term ramifications.

I can't count how many times I have looked back on something I did and wished that I had never done it in the first place. As I have grown older and much wiser (I hope), I have learned that one way I can avoid this type of regret is to stop and think before I act. That the next time I am faced with a choice that I know can carry long term consequences, I have to step back and ask myself if it is a wise choice. When I keep the end I know God has for me in mind, then I am able to honor Him through the choices I make.


Comments